Wednesday, January 4, 2006

Delta whore, and other stories...

Is it wrong that I'm really excited about my new "medallion" status on Delta? On my trip home, I was upgraded to First Class for free on my trip home. Being a pliant consumer is rewarding.

Speaking of consuming, C and I signed up for Netflix. If you're a user, add me as your friend. I've also started adding friends on Amazon. That all started when I wanted to send Lisa a link to a book and there was a checkbox to make her my friend. I wonder if having ugly URLs was part of their strategy all along?

Although I worship at the altar of capitalism, I of course remain skeptical about religion. This ceremony I went to at home left me wondering about how Hinduism led to all this caste nonsense. Of course, Wikipedia had the answer. Now the question is, is there any religion that hasn't been used to cause harm to others? Maybe Buddhism? Unitarianism? In any case, I read about these interesting anti-religious children's books in the New Yorker - I think I might check 'em out.

Recent choice podcats:

KEXP 5 - who knew that sound engineers even have ouveres to sample?

AGDFA 21 - if you have to listen to Christmas music, it might as well be alternative and rock

If there's any doubt that podcasts help sell music (wait! didn't we already have this argument with radio?), I bought The Magic Numbers album after hearing them on KEXP Live Performances.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you don't mind, I randomly stumbled onto your blog.

    As a Hindu, I am quite dismayed at the caste system. I just read a wonderful book about one family's struggle to attempt to eradicate this horrid practice ... I highly recommend it. It is an easy read, but at the same time, I couldn't put it down.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743270797/qid=1136508076/sr=8-3/ref=pd_bbs_3/002-1816063-4354402?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

    The book is Untouchables by Narendra Jadhav

    Anyway, I hope that this book continues to be passed on, so people in India can stop this stupid way of thinking. It is such a terrible stain on a religion that supposedly teaches tolerance. :(

    Anyway, apologies for the intrusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey kooshie. i am an elite on nwa, so i got a first class ride too, and it was SWEEEEEEEET. ohhh, the loveliness. :)

    as for the caste system, apparently there was a lawsuit here at the school once, where one indian professor sued and said he wasn't being treated properly by another indian professor who was higher ranked, saying it was caste discrimination. apparently, it actually was just that the plaintiff was an asshole. that's what i heard at least. anyway, random anecdote.

    happy new year!

    ReplyDelete